[Beaver-devel] sway indiscriminately

From: Joy Archer
Subject: [Beaver-devel] sway indiscriminately
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 23:54:26 -0000

The sky cleared and winter came in with piercingwinds. Next day the old man leftfor Sydney to bring Gursey home. She tried to starve them out, dry them out, burn them out. And something else in herself understood Rosas passionate need forlove. Youre getting a bit old for this, Peters, he said whenSambo had left them. Next day the old man leftfor Sydney to bring Gursey home.
He was thirty-nine, past the half-way mark of his life. Cabell avoided him at first, the change in Gursey moved him so.
But at the same time he was afraid of his own pity.
Both had been shot through the back of the head. For nineteen years it had been trying to do the samewith him.
He wanted to shake off its contaminating touch. Cabell avoided him at first, the change in Gursey moved him so. InLudmilla she recognized a woman of her own kind. Didnt I give you a leg-up by keeping my trap shut?
Shed had nineteen years of his life and what had she given him inreturn?
Had he not helped McGovernto make Cabell act?
In the scrub he saw thebodies, peppered with shot. All at once she had become a broken, bedraggled,humiliated old woman.
The fiasco of her plans for Dirk had quickened this train ofthought. Good God,what devils must watch over the destinies of men!
She tried to starve them out, dry them out, burn them out.
If Id come on my own hook Cabell would havesooled the dogs on me.
If hesoftened to Gursey he would soften to her. What it had done to Gursey, the Darvalls, and RosaBellamy it was trying to do to him. Evenat this age he was a reckless climber of trees after wild honey andbreaker-in of ponies.
In the scrub he saw thebodies, peppered with shot.
Yourenot going to kick me out now, are you?
The homecoming of Gursey pushed thesealarms into the background.
So the Darvalls had seemed providentially sent. She ran away with an engineer who had beenhelping Jacob in his meat-preserving experiments.