[Beaver-devel] wayside occupation

From: Harriot Hall
Subject: [Beaver-devel] wayside occupation
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:15:03 +0200

I wish I could let everything go and justenjoy myself. She laughed, with a voluptuous note in her voice. Elizas eyes filled with tears of real pain. But, unlike the first one in the tobacco town, she never called himson. I can even check the growth ofthe disease for a time. Then hewent into the room, chafing his dry hands briskly. Every eveningRandolph Gudger, the bank president, telephoned her. They wouldnt have half amillion, would they?
He remonstrated withEugene, with good-natured seriousness, about his habits. He had, rather, confirmedGants death-warrant. He had found employment at length upon a newspaper in a richtobacco town of the Piedmont. But not without labor had his titles come. Eugene went to see the Leonards several times.
Ben had been rejected again in the draft. There was a sense of guilt in her manner, a note of regret andcontrition. She put Gants check in his inner pocket and fastened itwith a safety-pin.
They wouldnt have half amillion, would they?
Well, said Eliza gravely, plucking at her chin, I want you to bea good boy and study hard, son.
He had, rather, confirmedGants death-warrant. What would your father sayif he could hear you? A few people hurried past,as if driven along by the brief pouncing gusts of wind.
The boy went sulkily away until the rich man should leave: thebanker looked bitterly after him.
Little electric currents of excitement played up his spine.
Theywalked at night through the cool streets filled with the rustle oftired leaves. Youve got totrade quick to keep the ball a-rolling.
They have made a whiningcoward out of him! It makes my flesh crawl when she comesaround. She benttoward him: a few strands of her blonde hair brushed his face,leaving it aflame.
Try to be happy, son, she wept, try to be a little more happy.
Miss Brown lived, she said, in Indianapolis.
The kitchen-light went out; he heard his mothers door clickgently.