[Beaver-devel] Fix release and cool dialogs

From: Double 12
Subject: [Beaver-devel] Fix release and cool dialogs
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 14:25:08 +0200

I've got a few things I want to discuss:

If the new Beaver release will really be a release with lots of GTK modifications, it will take some time before it's ready for the users to use. With the fact in mind that there haven't been any releases for the last 4 years, we must be glad that Damn Small Linux still uses Beaver. I'm afraid that if we wait too long now, even DSL may choose a different editor as standard editor. DSL is a pretty popular distribution; if we lose DSL, we have just very few Beaver users left, and it may be hard to get new ones.
I propose that we bring out a 0.3.0.1 bugfix release in the near future. The 0.3.0 and 0.3.1 releases currently offered on the site are not usable, they just cause segfaults. Beaver 0.3.0.1 will be exactly the same as 0.3.0, just a new About dialog and fixes for the segfaults.
Then we could remove the links to 0.3.0 and 0.3.1 on the site and offer 0.3.0.1 to DSL. When users have a working, solid, GTK+2 based Beaver-version to use, we have our hands free to develop the next release with all the new features.
I think that if we don't bring out any new releases until our really new version, it may be the case that lots of users and a distribution already changed to a different editor.

What distinguishes Beaver from other editors? Most of the functions in the editor are the same. To my knowledge, Beaver has two distinguishing points: it's light and it has a name that is much cooler than the names of other editors.
My idea would be to make Beaver look less boring by using the Beaver animal in the program. Of course without making the program fat: just changing some font colors and adding some images.
If we look at Firefox' About dialog (attachment!), it looks good. This is just because it has nice artwork and because it uses a fancy font.
We can use a different font color in the about dialog or in other dialogs, and find someone to redesign the Beaver image (the Beaver icon is still okay). If the designer can make +/- three different Beaver images, we can also put small images in other dialogs, like the Preferences and Color Chooser dialog.
Small images and fancy colors won't make Beaver much slower, but spice it up a lot!

Double 12

JPEG image