Re: [Beaver-devel] Next release

From: Tobias Heinzen
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] Next release
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 17:55:22 +0200

When I try to open the index.html and about.html pages from the Beaver
website in Beaver, it can't open them and says they're not UTF-8. Both
pages open fine in Geany and dloads.html also opens fine in Beaver.
The --help and -? flags for Beaver don't seem to work anymore.
What I also wanted to change is the way the Makefiles handle the DESTDIR
variable and how the application uses this. We should use something like
a "config.h" file which we include to the application where all
directories are getting defined so that they can be used later. I also
wanted to add a little dependencies checker into the makefile.

I like the way we compile now. I don't want to use a big configure file
(like the one from autoconf, since this checks a lot but not that, that
you really need to check. also it's just way to complicated for our
needs I think)

I get frustrated many times by the way that autoconf does things.  I'd
prefer no autoconf but of course that's rarely possible.
Well I don't think that a huge script is necessary. Just a small one should really suffice. We don't have much to check (I mean autoconf does check for stdio.h stdlib.h and so forth to exist but fails at checking the really needed stuff like dependencies on libraries. also it often fails because gettext is not installed, but nobody knows why ^^)
I will try to add a 0.3.0.1 screenshot to the site, if you guys have
more, please add them.

On which CVS module are we going to develop the next release? What
will be the name of the next release, including GtkUiManager, XML
syntax files and plugins? 0.3.2? 0.4.0? I'd say 0.4.0.
i think we continue to work on the newest module (0.3.0.x). the older
ones are just to old (they still use gtk 1 i think and that would be
just too much work). Yes the name 0.4.0 would be better.

0.4.0 module exists now as beaver0.4.0   At some point I suppose it would be
wise to have a beaver_current or something so that people don't have to know
which is the most current version...  We'll see about that in the future...
for now beaver0.4.0
k cool thanks.

But before we start we should think about what we want to do. We also
have to maintain the old branch 0.3.0.x until the new branch is
released.

see above.  I'll take care of old code maintenance and leave you two to have
fun with the project.
I sure will *g*
We should keep that in mind. These are the task I think should
go definetely into the next release:

1) GtkItemFactory to GtkUiManager change
2) plugins
3) removing of wordfile.txt and introducing language files
4) cleanup work:
       - there are some functions and variables that are not used any
more. we should clear them out of the source code
       - also some features should be cleaned up a bit so that the code
is more readable.
       - comments. I think trevor has begun to comment some stuff. this
is good, really good ^^ that should be continued.

the last part (4) is definitively necessary I think personally

I completely agree.  We should refactor as the as first step.  Once that's
done, lets convert to GtkUiManager, work on new features like plugins and
more portable language files, and then we'll refactor again.  On future
releases we'll be able to eliminate the first refactor step, but I believe
in having post-feature refactoring as much as possible.
I've got some victims already in mind. The things that I've seen, but clearly need some discussion are the following:

1) conf.h / conf.c are handling the loading/saving of the configfile. gtk+2.0 has a "Key-file parser" which is exactly what we need. Do we want to use the library functions or do we want to use the old implementation? The Keyfile parser is in the library we use right now, so no extra dependency would be created but the code would be much more readable. I think the same functionality could be achieved with much lesser code, should help to decrease the memory foot print ^^

What the old implementation could do is support "multiple config files" (or I think they do). This comes from the observation because the function get_string_conf is called something like "General/Category/Key" and "General" obviously means which config file. I do not see the need of multiple config files. Should this feature be saved?

2) what about those old files that we don't really use (like old_editor.c) could they be removed? 3) do we still need the bl-file load feature (as far as I know that thing didn't really worked anyway)? Can I remove it? What other features don't we need?