Re: [Beaver-devel] Next release

From: Double 12
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] Next release
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 13:33:55 +0200

1) I think we better write real new code (like in conf.c/conf.h) after we migrate everything to GtkUiManager. Otherwise, we will have to change the code before, after and during the migration. The idea of using the key parser is very good, by the way. In my opinion, one config file is enough.

2) old_editor.c and old_editor.h are the only old files, to my knowledge. I guess we can remove them. They aren't compiled in the Makefile, are they?

3) Personally, I think we can get rid of the .bl-function. Of course, it's a very innovative function for Beaver, as a small editor that tends to just have conservative functions. But if we really want to have it working, we have to spend time on it, and removing it will probably make Beaver faster and a little bit less memory-consuming. Plus the fact that the function is three years old and may be using outdated technologies.

I've got some victims already in mind. The things that I've seen, but clearly need some discussion are the following:

1) conf.h / conf.c are handling the loading/saving of the configfile. gtk+2.0 has a "Key-file parser" which is exactly what we need. Do we want to use the library functions or do we want to use the old implementation? The Keyfile parser is in the library we use right now, so no extra dependency would be created but the code would be much more readable. I think the same functionality could be achieved with much lesser code, should help to decrease the memory foot print ^^

What the old implementation could do is support "multiple config files" (or I think they do). This comes from the observation because the function get_string_conf is called something like "General/Category/Key" and "General" obviously means which config file. I do not see the need of multiple config files. Should this feature be saved?

2) what about those old files that we don't really use (like old_editor.c) could they be removed? 3) do we still need the bl-file load feature (as far as I know that thing didn't really worked anyway)? Can I remove it? What other features don't we need?