Re: [Beaver-devel] About autotools and portability

From: Higor Eurípedes
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] About autotools and portability
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 12:56:28 -0300

 Sorry, i accidentaly pressed the Send button.. heres the continuation
 of the message:

> b) as I stated above, I do not like it, if it produces a lot of nonsense
> terminalscrolling text, which is useless in most of the time. I like how the
> kernel get's compiled and that's why I designed my Makefiles after that. Is
> this somehow possible to do with the autotools? To find warning and errors
> is really hard and makes my eyes hurt.

 It was explained in the other message:
 "Its possible to configure the output to look like the older one (add a
 custom .c.o target in src/Makefile.am and src/api/Makefile.am)."

> c) the plugins Makefile and mkmakefile.sh does not work for me. Also I do
> not like if you have to use autotools to write some plugin. In my system you
> only had to copy paste the Makefile and everything worked. Here nothing
> worked for me? Or did I just used it wrong?

 Erm, actualy the mkmakefile.sh was a workaround to fix some problems i
 was having
 and didnt igure how to fix hehehe. *hides*

 mkmakefile.sh genereates a Makefile everytime you compile beaver, so
 the plugins are
 compiled with the same options you have set to the main executable
 (like debug stuff or optimizations).

 You do not need to use autotools to compile the plugins at all.

> I see, that if we want that beaver is portable we have to use some sort of
> configuration script. I had no problem in compiling beaver with my old
> machine (an ubuntu system) and with my new system (a gentoo system; okay on
> gentoo mostly everything works ^^). I would like to know what the problem
> was with freebsd? probably some paths were wrong?

 If we use a manual script we would have to check every  system that
 beaver users use to see where
 are the stuff we are looking for (compilers, headers, libraries)

> Again, I want to stress out, that this is not a criticism against you, but I
> just really hate autotools. If you could work the things out I stated above
> than I would be happy.

 No problem.

 --
 Higor Euripedes (enygmata)