Re: [Beaver-devel] File selection dialog

From: Higor Eurípedes
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] File selection dialog
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:02:14 -0300

2009/1/27 Double 12 <address@hidden>:
> Well, an update of what I've been doing today.
>
> I changed the API a bit; beaver_box_file_selection now has an extra
> parameter to set the folder you want to start looking.
> The code that calls beaver_box_file_selection must supply a directory to the
> function. Temporarily, it just gives the home dir, but it should give the
> directory where the current file is in. If you know the path of the current
> file, you can get the directory out of it with g_dir_get_path_name().

Did you mean g_path_get_dirname () ?

> But I don't know how to get the path of the current file. How does that
> FPROPS thing work?

>From struct.h:

#define FPROPS(Page, Elt) g_array_index (FileProperties, t_fprops, Page).Elt

It just returns the Elt property of the Page index from the
FileProperties array,
it hold stuff about the files like: the gtktextbuffer and the gtktextview.

I dont like it at all hehe. Maybe we should use another name like get_property
or dunno..

> And I have compiled Beaver 0.2.7 today. It's GTK1-based, pretty ugly, but it
> is surprisingly fast (a lot faster than our GTK2-version of Beaver). As soon
> as I can find a GTK1 reference manual somewhere, I'll play around with it a
> bit.

Of course its slow, GTK1 has almost no features if you compare to GTK2.
GTK2 gave us a lot of improvements like unicode fonts support, and the cairo
library integration which handles drawing verywell even better than gdk, theres
some project that might replace gdk for GtkCairo on the future.
Another reason that GTK2 is slow is because of some Pango routines that
handles text measuring.

Beaver's design is not perfect, i bet we can do it better if we try,
but it would
be A LOT OF WORK and requires time. *cought* unofficial GSOC project? *cough*

Wanna read stuff?

http://live.gnome.org/GTK%2B/LowMemoryPool
http://live.gnome.org/GdkPixbufOptimization
http://www.gnome.org/~federico/docs/2005-GNOME-Summit/html/