billiards-devel

Re: [Billiards-devel] Programming experiments with Billiards

From: Tadej Janež
Subject: Re: [Billiards-devel] Programming experiments with Billiards
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:38:37 +0100

On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 22:48 +0200, Dimitris Papavasiliou wrote:

> Let me know if there's anything else you need implemented to perform
> your experiments.

Currently there is one big issue, namely that sometimes the balls just
won't stop for a very long time (30s or more) and very very slowly move
forward.
This effect can be observed with your experiment.lua setup and I find it
to be quite undeterministic. Sometimes they step right after the shot
and sometimes it takes more than half minute.

However, this only appears on my Fedora 11 with custom compiled ODE. I
was following the comment posted on Linux Game Tome and used the
following configure options:
%configure --enable-shared --disable-static --disable-asserts
--with-trimesh=opcode --enable-double-precision

Jure has Ubuntu 9.10 and doesn't observe the issue so I'm guessing it
has something to do with the different underlying ODE package. He's
using stock Ubuntu packages for ODE (I'll have to check their configure
options).

Do you have any idea what's wrong?

A way to avoid this would be to have a hook triggered every 0.1s and
check if the balls moved for less that epsilon and end the shot.

I have three more things I want to ask you:
1) How can I automatically save the .svg picture of the shot at the end
of the shot?

2) The shot picture seems to be mirrored across the x-axis. How can I
fix this?

3) Using -c option to specify my own lua script for Billiards doesn't
work:
address@hidden billiards-0.3.1]$ billiards -c
~/workspace/Billiards1/src/my_experiment.lua
Greetings fellow user, this is Techne 0.1.

Let's see what kind of junk we're dealing with here.
The graphics renderer is a 'ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 2.1.9026'.
The framebuffer configuration is [8, 8, 8, 8, 24, 8].
The rendering context is direct.
The audio renderer is 'Software 1.1'.

We're up and running!
Reading the configuration script.
Hmmm, I just got this unprotected error from the Lua interpreter:
"...ome/tadej/workspace/Billiards1/src/my_experiment.lua:102: attempt to
index global 'billiards' (a nil value)"
No point in prolonging this dreary existence I suppose...

I'm attaching my custom my_experiment.lua script.

BTW, I'm also Fedora packager and was thinking about packaging up Techne
and Billiards. What do you think about this?

There are 2 small bugs in configure.ac of both Techne and Billiards,
which are exposed on Fedora:
The line with:
   AC_CHECK_PROGS(LUAC, [luac5.1 luac51 luac]])
should be replaced with:
   AC_CHECK_PROGS(LUAC, [luac5.1 luac51 luac])

Best regards,
Tadej

--
Tadej Janež <address@hidden>
Fakulteta za računalništvo in informatiko