billiards-devel

Re: [Billiards-devel] Billiard sounds

From: Dimitris Papavasiliou
Subject: Re: [Billiards-devel] Billiard sounds
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 11:13:30 +0300

> Seems that the Billard-GL development stopped right before they included the
> samples into the game.  I should have checked that before suggesting it...
> maybe the authors can still be contacted, though.  It would be nice that
> those samples weren't recorded for nothing and finally ended on a game.
> Last news from that project are from early 2005 (and in German; the English
> version of the page doesn't show them).  Seems that the devs quit the
> project for lack of time.

Well it's a long shot but I tried to contact one of the members at the
only e-mail address available.  I doubt he'll still be receiving mail
from there though.

> The other open source billiard game I know is FooBillard.  Seems to have
> sound, although the only file that looks like sound in the sources is
> "ball-ball.raw" (which I managed to play using the command `aplay -f cd -c 1
> ball_ball.raw`).

There are also some samples available from the Freesound project
(http://www.freesound.org/) but they require some post-processing
before they can be useful and I'm tied up with more pressing issues in
other projects at the moment.  I tried using them at one point briefly
but couldn't get satisfactory results.

Dimitris