billiards-users

[Billiards-users] Trouble running billiards - ODE error (assertion failu

From: Pasi Hirvonen
Subject: [Billiards-users] Trouble running billiards - ODE error (assertion failure)
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 21:29:40 +0200

Hi,

finally managed to compile billiards, took a good while. First needed to
install a myriad of dev packages (freetype2, fontconfig, lua,
libpng, openal, etc) to get it to configure, then had some trouble
with "make" thanks to ODE (first compiled it as a static library
and failed to build techne.. I sorted it by compiling ODE with
--enable-shared). Anyway, now that I got it to compile and install,
I get the following error messages when running billiards:

Done configuring, entering the main loop.

ODE INTERNAL ERROR 1: assertion "bNormalizationResult" failed in
_dNormalize3() [../../../include/ode/odemath.h]
Aborted

I really have no idea where to go from here. Is this just my
(integrated, old) graphics card being rubbish or is this is a Real
Bug(tm)?

In case these are any use:
The graphics renderer is a 'Mesa DRI Intel(R) 852GM/855GM GEM
20090712 2009Q2 RC3 x86/MMX/SSE2 1.3 Mesa 7.6'.
The framebuffer configuration is [8, 8, 8, 8, 24, 8].
The rendering context is direct.
The audio renderer is 'OpenAL Soft 1.1 ALSOFT 1.8.466'.

It attemps to use the toon shader (which is no surprise). From
lspci:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM
Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)

System info:
Ubuntu 9.10
Linux plop 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC
2009 i686 GNU/Linux

If you need any extra system details, let me know. I'm subscribed
to the list now.

Hoping I get the game to run soon and it turns out to be the Best
pool sim for Linux. ;)

 - Pasi

ps. from the README file: "The only flaw I can see in the
model so far is that it doesn't allow you to jump the cue ball by
elevating the cue and using bottom english." - now, I do think that
the physics engine should support jumping this way (well, it should
support every possible way to drive the cuestick into the cue-
ball and have the cueball behave as it should).. however; jump
shots performed by "scooping" the cueball (i.e. bottom english) are
not legal in pool. The proper[1] way to perform a jump shot is to
drive the object ball to the felt by hitting the cueball above its
equator.

[1] Proper as in the WPA rules which are used in virtually all
professional games as well as in "proper" national games all around
the world.