cashew-s

[CASHeW-s] Re: Visual environment of Jave development in Eclipse

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: [CASHeW-s] Re: Visual environment of Jave development in Eclipse
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 22:41:28 +0000

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 12:40 +0000, X F Liu wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
>     My exam will end on 3 Feb, because this is my first time to take exam
> here,
> I am a little bit nervous, So , sorry about that I cannot concentrate much on
> our project before the exams. I have used eclipse to draw some simple plug-in
> but I cannot use the visual environment development.Does any of you know how
> the
> use it or should I only to create a Java class and import the corresponding
> packages? Thanks!
>
> Yours!
> Roger

Roger,
        Sorry if no-one has replied to your mail so far, but please remember
that not everyone is able to check their mail every day, especially
during the weekend.  I would appreciate it if you didn't post mail to
the -auto lists, as these are intended primarily for messages from CVS
or Savannah, and the discussion of these items.  Please keep such mails
to the main list, or the -editor/-engine sub-lists.
        As to your mail, I did briefly read through it last night, but didn't
reply immediately as it is a little difficult to understand what you
actually want from us.  As you should have grasped by now, the project
involves (from the editor side) writing a plug-in for the Eclipse
development environment.  Practically, this means implementing the
required interfaces or sub-classing as appropriate to allow Eclipse to
interface with your code.  As our project largely involves a graphical
editor, Ravish has suggested using the GEF plug-in to simplify
development.  A tutorial on this is available on the Eclipse web-site:

http://eclipse.org/articles/Article-GEF-diagram-editor/shape.html

        which may be a good starting point for testing out your Eclipse and GEF
abilities.  Eclipse is proving popular, so no doubt you will find plenty
of other resources both on eclipse.org and around the web.
        I don't understand what you mean by 'using Eclipse to draw some simple
plug-ins'.  Are you referring to using the Eclipse environment to create
the Swing programs you committed to CVS?  This is not really the right
path to be taking, as Eclipse uses SWT rather than Swing for graphics
and user interfaces.  Our main use of Eclipse is as a resource to expand
on with a plug-in; whether you also use Eclipse to develop your code is
up to you.  Obviously, it may be preferable, as Barry suggested, to use
this so that you are more familiar with this environment for coding.
However, in this case, there are two distinct aspects to using Eclipse;
one being as an environment for running plug-in code, and one as an
environment for developing code, as with any other editing environment.
        The best way to do this is probably to try something out, and then talk
about something concrete on the list.  Please also come into the chat
room if you need help, as it is by far easier to work such things out in
an instantaneous environment rather than having to do guesswork via
e-mail.

Thanks,
--
Andrew :-)

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint)
attachments.

No software patents in Europe -- http://nosoftwarepatents.com

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn."
-- Richard Stallman

"We've all been part of the biggest beta test the world has ever known
-- Windows"
-- Victor Wheatman, Gartner