ccrtp-devel

Re: [Ccrtp-devel] ccRTP with MS VC++

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [Ccrtp-devel] ccRTP with MS VC++
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:08:10 -0400

First, the existing tarballs already include .dsp and vcproj files for building under both VC++ and VS.NET, it would seem redundent to distribute yet another source set. You can build them the same way directly from the source distro.

Second, there is no standard locations to construct and install third party libraries and headers in the the ms world (equiv of a /usr/local/include, /usr/local/lib, etc). Hence, for libraries, especially that have additional dependencies, either an arbitrary one must be chosen, and all the project files would then have to be manually set with appropriate paths, or one might make choices about where the source files are located relative to each other, and use relative paths, but all these require manual intervention and specific consideration about the build environment. The CAPE installer addresses this issue by providing consistent install locations you can use in your project files
to build your software against.

Yes, I agree more documentation about how to build would be helpful to add, and it would be nice to have more examples.

Lino wrote:
Hello!

For the last few days i'm trying to figure out which rtp stack/framework to use in my thesis. I need to implement rtp transmiter which have to stream various audio/video media formats across IPv6 network. On the other side it will be receiver - it would be nice if it could play audio/video... My project must be implement using open-source multi-platform solutions. I found solution with java JMF (ugh#!), but it is too slow...

I like ccRTP, and i think i can implement my project using it. But, because i'm newbie i have problems with compiling under win32 (i didn't try it yet under Linux).

   I have some questions and(or) suggestions:

1. why there is capexp.exe installer for win32 - why don't you publish zip file with source code and project files which can be compiled under MS VC++ 6/7? (I know that i can use precompiled dll's, headers files,... with capexp.exe - but wouldn't this be better?)

2. i spent whole day at google.com to figure out few basic things (like: i should use capexp with MS VC++). Then i accidentaly saw http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg00002.html. Could someone put at http://cplusplus.sourceforge.net/ or at http://www.gnu.org/software/ccrtp/ or in distributed package step-by-step guide about compiling source code with various compilers under linux, windows, xbsd, etc. and also some notes about known problems. Maybe i could compile it under cygwin or with mingw - i couldn't find any step-by-step guide how to do this (i'm newbie - i know...)

   3. it would be nice to see few more examples (using ccRTP)...

   Thx,

      Lino