ccrtp-devel

[Ccrtp-devel] ccRTP and real-time Linux ?

From: Guillaume Fraysse
Subject: [Ccrtp-devel] ccRTP and real-time Linux ?
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 10:35:46 +0200

Hello everyone,

I've been using ccRTP in my compagny for 2-3 years in my compagny and
have been quite happy with it. Even if I raised some bugs sometimes :)

We are currently developping a platform which will be quite RTP
intensive (lots of simultaneous sessions on a given computer audio for
a start then , I hope, video too), and as QoS is important I've been
thinking about using a real-time linux (RTlinux or RTAI) as the OS
running the platform.

I've been doing some reading, including this lis's own David Sugar's paper
"GNU Bayonne: Telephony Services for Freely Licensed Operating
Systems" (found here :
http://www.realtimelinuxfoundation.org/events/rtlws-2002/paper.html)
where he talks about the short-coming of real-time under Linux. But no
real-time linux get mentionned (I guess back in 2002 neither RTAI nor
RTlninux were stable enough).
I also found this paper about a video streaming server qwhere they do
use rtlinux and do some kind of comparison :
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/gialama01divisor.html.

It's really an open question. Has anyone been using that kind of
plat-form ? Has anyone any return on experience to share ?

To go further into the details, where would it make more sense to
implement the hard real-time of the platform ? Would it make sense to
have a rtlinux/RTAI version of ccRTP ? Would if make more sense to do
that in the client ?

I hope I don't say anything too foolish as I'm far from being an
expert  at real-time OSes but I'm really interested by anyone's
opinion on that subject.

Best regards,
Guillaume