coreutils

Re: coreutils 8.30 "bootstap"

From: Gabor Z. Papp
Subject: Re: coreutils 8.30 "bootstap"
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 17:36:57 +0100

* Bernhard Voelker <address@hidden>:

| > Yes, the man pages placed into the build directory by dummy-man, [...]

| okay, I pushed that first part at:

|   https://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/commit/?id=f114495e3e

| > [...] but not yet installed due the failed ginstall.
| >
| > Why not the system's (g)install used?

| As said, that's a different topic.  I didn't have a look at it yet,
| but I guess is that this really requires CROSS_COMPILE to be set.

Tried compiling current git with your patch, setting
cross_compiling=yes in the configure line. The results are installed
man pages, that looks like this:

cat(1)                      General Commands Manual                     cat(1)

NAME
       cat - a GNU coreutils UNKNOWN program

DESCRIPTION
       OOPS!  We were unable to create a proper manual page for cat.  For
       concise option descriptions, run

              env cat --help

       The full documentation for cat is maintained as a Texinfo manual, which
       should be accessible on your system via the command

              info '(coreutils) cat invocation'

User Commands                GNU coreutils UNKNOWN                      cat(1)

Replace "cat" with the util name for every man page.