coreutils

Re: new snapshot available: coreutils-9.2.18-ffd62.tar.xz

From: Sam James
Subject: Re: new snapshot available: coreutils-9.2.18-ffd62.tar.xz
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 05:55:26 +0100

Pádraig Brady <P@draigBrady.com> writes:

> On 10/04/2023 22:52, Sam James wrote:
>> Sam James <sam@gentoo.org> writes:

>>> I get one failure in tests/cp/backup-dir.sh inside our packaging:
>> I see now you've caught this as a non-portable shell construct &
>> fixed -
>> thanks! So ignore this one, and see the failures below instead.
>>> ```
>>> + env cp --version
>>> [...]
>>> FAIL tests/cp/backup-dir.sh (exit status: 1)
>>> ```
>> These I can naturally still hit:
>>>
>>> In another environment (same machine but this time running manually,
>>> outside of our packaging, and on a ZFS filesystem instead of tmpfs),
>>> I get two failures:
>>>
>>> 1. tests/cp/sparse-2.sh.log: http://sprunge.us/jOCSEr (unfortunately I
>>> can't consistently reproduce this one)
>
> This might be due to slightly different I/O patterns between cp and dd.
> The log above suggests that cp is not inducing holes while dd is.
> It would be useful to get both strace files from running the following on
> that ZFS filesystem
>
>   cd coreutils-9.2.18-ffd62
>
>   printf x>k
>   dd bs=1k seek=1 of=k count=255 < /dev/zero
>
>   strace -e cp.strace src/cp --reflink=never --sparse=always k k2
>
>   hole_size=$(stat -c %o k2)
>   strace -o dd.strace src/dd if=k of=k2.dd bs=$hole_size conv=sparse

By the way, this time, I also got a tests/du/basic failure too:
http://sprunge.us/xEumX6.

For the commands you gave:
```
255+0 records in
255+0 records out
261120 bytes (261 kB, 255 KiB) copied, 0.00220926 s, 118 MB/s
2+0 records in
2+0 records out
262144 bytes (262 kB, 256 KiB) copied, 0.000550036 s, 477 MB/s
```

and:
cp.strace: http://sprunge.us/cng0Z9
dd.strace: http://sprunge.us/F0Vg2r

Note that I can't reproduce the original test failure every time,
only ~1/7, 1/8 times, so I might need to run these in a loop
to get you the output needed. Or these might be fine. Dunno. :)

>>> 2. ./tests/misc/tty-eof.log: http://sprunge.us/yWNByM
>
> perl's expect module seems to be getting spurious exitstatus for some
> commands.
> I suspect a race, and there is a hardcoded 10s in that script.
> There are various other issues in that script actually.
> Hopefully the attached addresses this.

Interestingly, it doesn't!

tests/misc/tty-eof.log: http://sprunge.us/UwqooK.

I just applied the patch (and verified the changes were there) and
ran 'make check' again rather than a rebuild, but I assume that
shouldn't matter given it's a test script change.

> cheers,
> Pádraig
>
> [2. text/x-patch; coreutils-ttty-eof-fixes.patch]...

best,
sam