coreutils

Re: sort dynamic linking overhead

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: sort dynamic linking overhead
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 14:30:05 +0000

On 27/02/2024 21:36, Bruno Haible wrote:
Pádraig Brady wrote:
Does this work for all the various names of libcrypto in various distros?

Debian 12       libcrypto.so.3
Ubuntu 22.04    libcrypto.so.1.1 libcrypto.so.3
Slackware 15    libcrypto.so.1.1
openSUSE 15.5   libcrypto.so.1.1
CentOS Stream 9 libcrypto.so.3
Guix 1.4        libcrypto.so.1.1
Alpine 3.19     libcrypto.so.3
FreeBSD 14.0    libcrypto.so.38
NetBSD 9.3      libcrypto.so.14
OpenBSD 7.4     libcrypto.so.52.0

I only tested with libcrypto.so.3, but it should match all of the above.
It matches libcrypto.so.[.0-9]*

Here are my testing results (with the LIB_DL fix):

* On some machines, I had to install the packages with the <openssl/*>
   header files first:

   - Debian 12:
     # apt install libssl-dev
   - openSUSE 15.5:
     YaST software > install libopenssl-3-devel
   - Slackware 15:
     Download and unpack the openssl-1.1.1w binary packages
   - Alpine Linux 3.19:
     # apk add openssl openssl-dev

* On some platforms, the configure test gave

      checking whether openssl is GPL compatible... no

   due to the <openssl/*> header files being absent:

     - Guix 1.4
     - macOS 12.5
     - Cygwin 2.9.0

* On some platforms, the configure test gave

      checking whether openssl is GPL compatible... no

   because the openssl version is not >= 3.

     - Slackware 15 (has libcrypto.so.1.1)
     - NetBSD 9.3 (has libcrypto.so.14)
     - OpenBSD 7.4 (has libcrypto.so.52.0)
     - Solaris 11.4 (has libcrypto.so.1.0.0)

* On these platforms, the configure test gave

      checking whether openssl is GPL compatible... yes

   and LIBCRYPTO_SONAME got defined.

     - Debian 12
     - Ubuntu 22.04
     - openSUSE 15.5
     - CentOS Stream 9
     - Alpine Linux 3.19
     - FreeBSD 14.0
     - Android

   The value of LIBCRYPTO_SONAME is
     "libcrypto.so.30" on Android,
     "libcrypto.so.3" on the other platforms.

Thanks for all the testing / info.

FTR some platforms may deem openssl < 3 as GPL compat,
and they can `configure --with-openssl=auto`,
in which case this optimization would be enabled.

thanks!
Pádraig