discuss-gnu-electric

Re: Probably stupid problem...

From: John Coppens
Subject: Re: Probably stupid problem...
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 01:48:42 -0300

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 15:52:17 -0700
Steven Rubin <address@hidden> wrote:

> >I'm a first time user of Electric and made a very simple circuit with
> >three JK FFs. I connected the JKs of the first to PWR, and the
> >JKs of the second to the Q of the first. The JKs of the third
> >go to an AND of Q0 and Q1. I believe this is the standard connection
> >for a sync counter. Clocks are common.
> >
> >When simulating though, only the first JK acts normally (div 2).
> >
> >I've tried to connect the PRESET and CLR to 1 and 0 etc. I guess I'm
> >missing something very basic here...
>
> The implementation of FlipFlops is not complete in the built-in ALS
> simulator.  This is why some of them don't respond under simulation.  Check
> the VHDL and the netlist code to see more.

Hi Steven.

I checked the simulator routine - it doesn't take into account the PRESET
and CLEAR inputs. It _does_ seem to try and simulate the normal behaviour
of the FF though.

I did a simpler circuit with only two FFs. The second has JK hanging from
the previous one's Q output. This should give a divide-by-4 circuit. I'm
guessing
there's something wrong with the order of the evaluation of things. I'm
guessing that for some reason the second JK always sees 1 on at least one
of the inputs.

Anyway - after a bit of experimenting something else went wrong: I get a
message:

  Cannot find VHDL for test

When trying to run ASL sim. Where did that come from?

John