discuss-gnu-electric

Problems with options

From: Al Arduengo
Subject: Problems with options
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 09:10:51 -0500

Hi all,

I wrote earlier about problems with my options staying persistent. I have discovered several issues along this line that I wanted to ask about.

These descriptions may sound confusing and it is because I cannot seem to find a repeatable pattern of events other than options are not being recognized each time I start electric and I have problems with simulations.

1. It seems that if I run ALS to simulate my schematic, closing the waveform window leaves something resident such that when I leave Electric and restart it later, trying to run a sim again results in errors about not being able to find a module, or no vhdl being found. If I make some change to the circuit and re-save, it stops the simulator and I can usually get it running again correctly. I tried using the 'U' key in the waveform window but it has no effect. Is there a way to STOP the simulator as opposed to simply killing the window? It is somewhat frustrating when I make changes to the circuit and upon restarting the sim to find that if it does start, the signal names are not updated with the schematic changes and I am presented with the same waveform window as the earlier sim run.

2. I compiled electric 6.07 to include irsim support, but even though I set ALS to be the default and saved my options, every time I restart electric I find that irsim is once again the default simulator. Is this a known problem or is it me?

3. Along the same lines as #2, I set my number base for busses to 16 as opposed to the default 10, but everytime I get a sim running I find that the base is once again 10.

4. Colors do not stay in effect. I like black background colors and I can set them in the schematic window, but as soon as I open a different view like vhdl, simulator, etc, everything goes back to the default colors. If I save options with black background and exit electric, it will come up using the black background, but as soon as I open another window, bam! back to default.

I am using linux with kernel 2.4.18 on a Thinkpad600 with 192M ram and a 4G hdd. Electric 6.07 is compiled with QT and IRSIM builtin. Currently I am trying out KDE as my window manager but I have several others on board as well.

Thanks for any advice.

-Al Arduengo