discuss-gnu-electric

Problems with Electric on Linux

From: Graham Petley
Subject: Problems with Electric on Linux
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 04:04:32 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
   I'm having some problems getting Electric to work properly under Linux. I
have a dual boot MAC OSX 10.4/Ubuntu 8.04 machine. Electric works fine with the
MAC OS. Under Linux, I have tried running Electric from the jar file on the MAC
OS partition (which has journalling disabled) and from a copy on the Linux
partition.

   I notice that with the MAC a file called .DS_Store is written after every
session, but not with Linux. Instead I find a series of files with names like

/home/graham/.java/.userPrefs/com/sun/electric/technology/technologies/prefs.xml

   Can someone explain where user preferences (like layer colours and
transparencies) are kept? I would prefer a file kept in the working directory
rather than one in the user's .java directory.

   In Linux I am unable to double click on a layer in the Layer menu on the
left to make a layer visible or invisible. I have to click on the button.
Double clicking works fine under MAC.

   There are other Linux issues as well, but I think it is some setup problem
and these will go away once fixed.

   On Lnux I have java version 1.6.0_07-b06 and on the MAC 1.5_0_07-164. I'm
using Electric 8.08.

   My objective is to use one Electric jar file and project directory on the
MAC partition, and use either Linux of MAC for editing work.

Best regards, Graham Petley