Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Custom Block ID as variable

From: Glen I Langston
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Custom Block ID as variable
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 12:37:40 -0500

Thanks for both the question and the answer!

I’ve been puzzling over how to selectively capture data also
and how to feed info back to gnuradio graphs, based on the detected data.

I will try Marcus’s message-to-variable and variable-to-message blocks.

We did create general purpose data-capture blocks for radio astronomy, that identify events
based on the significance of the input samples compared to the RMS of the
data stream. The python code uses a circular buffer, and the output, captured, data stream
has the event centered in the middle of the buffer, so we can look at the intensities
before and after the _identified event_.    The writing is separated from
detection, so that not much astronomy info is needed to detect an event.   The
astronomy info is contained in the _event sink_ block.

A counter-based capture could easily be implemented as well, based on our blocks.
We use variable tags to send the peak, rms and event time downstream.   This is all
done in python.   The computers I’m using can only deal with about 1MHz
bandwidth.  I’m working on a port to C++, to allow increased sample rates.

One note, our graphs did not work properly unless the data stream continuued
after the event was detected. i.e. our (perhaps simple minded) implementation
would hang up all data flow unless we provided the output vector continually.
So our block repeatedly provides the _captured_ sample output stream,
until the next event is detected.

Our event capture blocks are obtained with
git clone http://www.github.com/gr-nsf/

And the “examples" directory has eventdetect.grc and eventwrite.grc
that use simulated data, and require no source blocks.

Best regards,

Glen