Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Moving my antenna

From: Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Moving my antenna
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 17:34:46 -0600

In general, good quality 75 ohm (CATV) coax is perfectly acceptable for receive applications, and for that matter, most transmit applications. There's a fair bit of misconception about the amount of "loss" introduced by an impedence mismatch.

If you mentioned the frequency range you're interested in, I missed it. the higher you go (i.e., VHF vs. HF, or UHF/SHF vs. VHF), loss does start to matter. There's an effective attenuation factor at different frequency ranges in coax based on length: it's effectively a resistor. As Doug and Albin (above) note this has to be accounted for.

gerry n5jxs