Re: Getting GPS data into stream

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Getting GPS data into stream
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 22:51:13 +0200

Hey Marcus,
Quite apart from the GPSD-specific stuff, it would be useful to have a kind of "annotated formatted data" file sink for low-rate   data (like scientific data, etc) which supports CSV outputs, and has some way of ordering any tags that come in with the   data and formatting them appropriately, but still be reasonably "generic"  (in that the block doesn't really *know* anything   about the tags, and can be told how to format them).  Maybe *in addition* you could pass the block a series of methods to
   call at some configurable cadence.

HDF5, maybe? I think Haystack had something in that direction…

This somewhat overlaps with what SigMF tries to do, but this is formatted data, inherently low-rate, with formatted
   annotations.

I nearly always end up doing this in a custom way for my applications, but having a generic block would be cool, and not   hard to do.   Could be entirely in Python, since we're talking "low rate" (like perhaps a few per second at most).

Do agree, but really don't like CSV, too underspecified a format, too many ways that comes back to bite you (aside from a thousand SDR users writing emails that their PC can't keep up with writing a few MS/s of CSV…)

How important is plain-textness in your applications?

Best,
Marcus