Re: Using Fractional or Rational resampler to simulate Doppler

From: Daniel Estévez
Subject: Re: Using Fractional or Rational resampler to simulate Doppler
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 17:48:26 +0200

Hi all,

Whether a resample (i.e., group delay change) is needed depends on the intended application. The question you need to ask yourself is: is the fact that in real life the Doppler at each frequency in your passband is slightly different because they are all different carrier frequencies relevant, or is it not and can we just take the Doppler for the centre frequency as Doppler for all frequencies?

If a resample is needed, then it is easy to do a constant resampler rate (corresponding to constant Doppler) by using the Polyphase Arbitrary Resampler (or the Channel Model block, which contains a Polyphase Arbitrary Resampler). Currently there isn't a simple way to make the resample rate change over time (corresponding to Doppler change over time). Perhaps a simple solution is to periodically call the callback to update the resample rate, according to the required Doppler curve.

Best,
Daniel.