discuss-gnustep

Re: Gorm don't work

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Gorm don't work
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 20:44:37 -0500

I had updated yesterday and it worked.  Are you sure this wasn’t because of a more recent change??

I’m glad it was found.

I’ve been preparing to start a new job recently so I didn’t have as much time to look into it as usual.  Thank you for doing this.

GC

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 07:28 Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 25.01.2019 um 12:29 schrieb David Chisnall <gnustep@theravensnest.org>:
>
> On 22/01/2019 22:15, Germán Arias wrote:
>> 2019-01-22 16:01:48.065 Gorm[5259:5259] GormDocument.m:109  Assertion
>> failed in GormDocument(instance), method _docWindow.  Unable to find
>> _window ivar in NSDocument class
>
> This looks like it's in the code I changed for compatibility with the new ABI.  Gorm is now using reflection to find private ivars in GNUstep, rather than accessing them directly (accessing private ivars in the new ABI will now cause a link failure anywhere other than the compilation unit containing the @implementation).
>
> If this assertion fails, it means that the Objective-C compiler / runtime that you are using is not able to find reflection metadata for the _window ivar in NSDocument.  This is quite worrying, because looking up ivars via the reflection APIs worked even back in the GCC 3.x days.

It is a lot easier than that. You just made a small mistake and used an NSString here instead of a C String. Of course this cannot work, with neither of the compilers. Which just shows that nobody did recompile and use Gorm after your change.
I fixed this in git and this specific issue should be gone now. There are a lot of other compiler warnings I get when compiling Gorm and there is also the runtime warning about _popUpItemAction:, but that should not block the usage of Gorm.

Cheers
Fred