emacs-bidi

[emacs-bidi] feature request: bidi isolation in ERC

From: Amit Aronovitch
Subject: [emacs-bidi] feature request: bidi isolation in ERC
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 12:54:00 +0300

Hi,

When using ERC, bidi messages always get LTR directionality, which causes wrong/problematic word ordering.

This can be seen in the screenshot - the first message has the default, obfuscated, word ordering. The correct one is in the last message - in which I manually inserted bidi-isolation chars in the message itself.

I suppose this happens because of the username-prompt at the beginning of the lines, which causes the first strong letter to be taken from the username (latin - LTR).
To avoid this issues, the messages themselves should be bidi-isolated (as most current IRC clients do).

One way to do that is to insert unicode characters in the buffer before and after the message text: insert FSI (U+2068) before, and PDI (U+2069). It should have no effect on LTR messages, and solve the issue for bidi ones.

thanks,
    Amit