Re: what make-dist should include [was Re: Emacs pretest 26.1.91 is out]

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: what make-dist should include [was Re: Emacs pretest 26.1.91 is out]
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 13:58:49 -0800

On 1/16/19 2:30 AM, Glenn Morris wrote:
I see zero practical advantages to a switch to a "distribute everything"
approach (which Emacs has never done, and nor when I check do eg tar,
texinfo, coreutils); unless it will drastically simplify make-dist and
avoid problems like the one fixed in 021f34b. If it does then I am all
for it. :)

OK, proposed make-dist patch attached. This patch drastically simplifies the list of files in make-dist that needs to be maintained manually, by relying on Git to keep track of files under version control. This should help avoid problems like the one you mentioned.