Re: CANNOT_DUMP and portable dumper

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: CANNOT_DUMP and portable dumper
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 15:56:06 -0800

On 1/30/19 9:39 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
is CANNOT_DUMP no longer used for systems that can
neither unexec nor use the pdumper code?  Or are there no such systems
anymore?

I have been using CANNOT_DUMP for testing Emacs in debugging frameworks that are incompatible with unexec. As far as I know, this was the only remaining practical use for the traditional meaning of CANNOT_DUMP (nobody was using Emacs in CANNOT_DUMP mode for ordinary use).

As pdumper makes this usage obsolete, we should retire this obsolete use of CANNOT_DUMP and rename the identifier to something more reasonable (e.g., to PORTABLE_DUMP as Glenn suggested).