Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2019 16:06:17 +0300

> Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 12:36:14 +0200
> From: Ergus <address@hidden>
>
> I don't really find a right method to fix this because the
> char-displayable-p function seems not to be accurate in many
> cases. There was a discussion about this before, but there was not a
> final agreement I think. And from the char-displayable-p documentation:
>
> ```
> On a multi-font display, the test is only whether there is an
> appropriate font from the selected frame's fontset to display
> CHAR's charset in general.  Since fonts may be specified on a
> per-character basis, this may not be accurate.
> ```
>
> Any suggestion here?

Can you reproduce the problem, given the information Robert provided
about the font he uses?

Once you can reproduce the problem, I suggest to use the macro
FACE_FOR_CHAR to find the ID of a face suitable for displaying the
indicator character, instead of using DEFAULT_FACE_ID.  You can find
examples of using this macro elsewhere in xdisp.c.