Re: Tramp as ELPA package

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp as ELPA package
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2019 18:19:26 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Dmitry,

> Why don't you create a branch in the Tramp repository which will fit
> those requirements, and regularly sync it with master, as well as push
> it to ELPA?

This branch would have a different file system layout. sync is not trivial.

And I maintain Tramp already in two different git repositories (Emacs
and Tramp's own), syncing them is always manual work. Having a third
repository in elpa would be much more work.

Don't forget that Tramp maintenance is almost a one-man-show.

> I think it will require pretty much the same amount of effort.

No. Creating a package archive, and uploading it, can be done in the
Makefile. Once this is written, there is no further effort.

Best regards, Michael.