Re: [Emacs-diffs] master d826037 3/3: Remove the need for temacs.in

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master d826037 3/3: Remove the need for temacs.in
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 12:31:53 -0700

On 4/10/19 11:53 AM, Daniel Colascione wrote:
> Computing a fingerprint over temacs.in factors link
> layout information into the fingerprint hash. Your approach doesn't. It's
> possible to link Emacs in different ways from the same object files and
> produce different binaries.

Computing a fingerprint over temacs.in also omitted layout information.
This was particularly true when building position-independent
executables. But even for the non-PIE case the fingerprint did not cover
dynamically-linked libraries.

In practice the omitted layout information didn't matter for temacs.in,
as it was not significant for what the fingerprint is used for.
Similarly, the information that the new approach omits from temacs is
not significant for the fingerprint's intended use, hence we haven't
lost anything significant by switching to the simpler-and-faster mechanism.