Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 15:38:25 -0700

On 4/11/19 3:26 PM, Daniel Colascione wrote:
> caching is supposed to help with that, isn't it?

It is supposed to, yes, but it doesn't help for my builds. I'm often
trying different 'configure' options (because I'm trying different
compiler or linker flags, or whatever), or I'm modifying configure.ac or
m4/* files, so the cache from my previous 'configure' run is wrong for
the current run. I've had so many problems with stale 'configure' caches
that I have learned to avoid these caches entirely.

'configure' caching is intended, I think, more for people who build lots
of programs and want to save time configuring them all. It doesn't work
as well for someone like me who too often modifies the configuration
machinery for a single program.