Re: Bloat in the Emacs Windows package

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bloat in the Emacs Windows package
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 14:06:40 -0400

>>> Some people want the binary zip to include all the optional features
>>> that Emacs on Windows can support.
>> Fair enough. But what optional features are missing from the
>> -no-deps.zip file? GnuTLS support in eww?
> Image support is the one most people would hit I think. I have no
> evidence for this statement of course.

I guess the libraries required for the default build (i.e. the ones for
which you need to explicitly say `--without-foo` to build Emacs without
support for them) would be the main ones missing:
- image libraries
- gnutls: very important nowadays to support accessing ELPA repositories
  via HTTPS, sending Email via authenticated SMTP, reading email via
  IMAP, ...
- xml2, for HTML rendering when reading mail and in eww, and I think
  it's also used by various other packages.

-- Stefan