Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 22:18:47 -0400

  > It does that in a different way. 'configure' searches for GNU Make and
  > if it's not called 'make', 'configure' tells the user GNU Make's name as
  > the very last thing it outputs in a message like "Now you can run
  > 'gmake'." In practice this seems to have been good enough. I recall
  > trying to do something fancier, along the lines you suggested, but
  > having some portability issues and settling for the current approach.

I suppose many users will figure out what to do,
but scripts won't.

We want ./configure ARGS; make ARGS  to be a universal recipe
for building any package.  It's not good enough if
users have to hand-simulate it.  Especially if this is meant to be
an example that other packages will follow.

So would you please try again to make this work automatically?

If you encounter those obstacles again, let's talk about how to
surmount them.  Perhaps by adding new features to GNU make.

  > # This GNUmakefile is for GNU Make.  It is for convenience, so that
  > # one can run 'make' in an unconfigured source tree.  In such a tree,
  > # this file causes GNU Make to first create a standard configuration
  > # with the default options, and then reinvokes itself on the
  > # newly-built Makefile.  If the source tree is already configured,
  > # this file defers to the existing Makefile.

Why can't there be a fall-back makefile that does this in any old make?

--
Dr Richard Stallman