Re: Processing speed in large C++ raw strings.

From: Tadeus Prastowo
Subject: Re: Processing speed in large C++ raw strings.
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 22:15:28 +0200

Hi Alan,

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 8:41 PM Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have now optimized CC Mode, such that each such self-insert-command
> now takes around 0.07s-0.1s.  I used two strategies for this: (i) breaking out
> of (expensive) fontification routines early, when the region being
> fontified is nothing but a string; (ii) Not fontifying the entire raw
> string for a change to only a small part of it.

I have been working with C++ template metaprograms for two years, and
since quite early, I have experienced CC Mode being very sluggish that
I often switch back-and-forth between cc-mode and text-mode.

I have not made any report since I don't feel like sparing my time to
collect some data for the report now that switching to text-mode does
the trick.  So, since you are already at it, perhaps you may want to
find out why even scrolling the buffer in cc-mode is very slow when
visiting the file at
http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/tice.git/plain/tests/v1/test-v1_internals_program.cpp?

Specifically, I built master at commit
82fc8ca6ba179596928db614ab903e44968ef44e and fired the result with
`emacs -Q' to visit the file locally.  Then, to experience the
sluggishness, I pressed M-> followed by M-v several times.  To further
experience it, I started to edit some template parameters, such as
changing `node1' to node `node5' in line 680.

Thank you very much for your work.

--
Best regards,
Tadeus