Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)

From: Danny Freeman
Subject: Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2023 09:34:02 -0400

Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't think using the term "hijacking" is productive.

Maybe a better term is "taking over", "co-opting", I don't know. I am
trying to be productive about this.

> The GNU emacs
> developers could well say that using a standard functional name like
> "clojure-mode" with no intent to contribute it to the core was the
> "hijacking", or perhaps namespace-squatting.  It would be different for
> "cider" or another non-standard, nonfunctional name. It should have been
> obvious at the time clojure-mode was originally authored that the name
> would have been adopted for a builtin mode if there were going to be one.

>From what I know, the original author is no longer actively involved in
maintaining clojure-mode, so it's hard to speculate about what their
intentions were.

But that is beside the point. I'm not talking about the maintainers of
clojure-mode or their intentions, I'm talking about the users of
clojure-mode, and how taking over the name clojure-mode would affect
them after 15 years of use.

--
Danny Freeman