Re: Lisp files that load cl-lib in problematical ways

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Lisp files that load cl-lib in problematical ways
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 15:29:24 +0300

> From: Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org>
> Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 13:19:06 +0200
>
> The "levels" introduced in this discussion are, it would seem
>
>   - files that are used by vanilla Emacs that use cl-lib
>
>   - such files that use it at compile time
>
>   - such files that use it a run time
>
>   - such files that are loaded when Emacs is executed with no
>     arguments
>
> but - what is the difference? I think it is pretty clear that
> cl-lib is used quite broadly, probably because people find
> it useful.
>
> So what does it matter if it is "purged" from one or several
> of these levels? What gain is there if that is achieved?

It matters to us because we decided long ago to avoid loading cl-lib
at runtime in vanilla Emacs.  There are several good reasons: bloat,
unnecessary namespace pollution, etc.  But all this is not really
relevant for the code that you (or any one of us) write for their own
personal use, it is only relevant to code contributed to Emacs.