RE: using ses programatically (was: a ses question)

From: Vincent Belaïche
Subject: RE: using ses programatically (was: a ses question)
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 17:42:04 +0000

Hello Andrès and al.,

I write to all people listed in SES manual acknowledgements to know if anybody minds the proposed change to how ses-select works.

Here is an update (from my dev branch, nothing yet pushed), with ses-select fixed. Also ses-range does not directly inlines the implementation, but now delegates to a helper function ses-range-engine. ses-range-engine has an extra-argument value-extractor, this way, if one day we wish to make some ses-symbol-range macro to get cell symbols instead of cell values, it would be quite easy to define it as follows:

(defmacro ses-symbol-range (from to &rest rest)
  `(ses-range-engine
    #'ses-cell--symbol
    (quote ,from) (quote ,to) ,(and rest `(quote ,rest))))

FYI information, the ses-select is now a function, no longer a macro, so it does not expand to a (list …) form containing symbols that by evaluation gets a list of values, but directly returns the list of values. I have no idea what the use of having this expansion to (list CELL-SYMBOLS) was, this seemed over-complex to me for no use. Also, ses-select used to revert the symbol order, and I have changed that too.

Any brickbats, questions, comments, etc… welcome,

  Vincent.

ses.el