Re: Missing snprintf in ucrt mingw + vc-refresh in find-file hook?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Missing snprintf in ucrt mingw + vc-refresh in find-file hook?
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 15:13:50 +0200

> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 11:44:43 +0100
>
> > We show the VC status on the mode line.
>
> If that is *the only* reason, can we make that status refresh optional?

We decided to make it the default long ago, and never heard any
significant complaints -- until now.  So changing the default after
all those years is not an option.  But you can customize the default
value of mode-line-format to omit the '(vc-mode vc-mode) part from it,
and then I think you will get what you want, locally.

> It can trigger checks even in files I am not currently working on. For
> example I
> have .emacs.d as a git repo so I can back it up, and I believe I am not the
> only
> one. Save place and recentf for example, and basically every other
> configuration
> that saves something is saving it in .emacs.d. It can be quite many status
> checks if it automatically checks git status for all files. There can be other
> reasons why I wouldn't like/need those checks in some repos. You can see the
> answer to Dmitry for a suggestion.

These checks are very fast, so I see no reason to avoid them by
default.