Re: Re: Insight into the mystery hangs

From: Pedro A. Aranda
Subject: Re: Re: Insight into the mystery hangs
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 09:20:38 +0100

Hi,

very interesting thread. It has helped me with my "mistery hang" too ;-)

Eli writes.

Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 13:26:16 -0500
From: "Eric S. Raymond"<esr@thyrsus.com>
Cc:emacs-devel@gnu.org

Eli Zaretskii<eliz@gnu.org>:
Isn't that call issued from the mode-line display?  If so, that is
done from redisplay, and redisplay cannot enter debugger, so it
catches all errors.  If you want to produce Lisp backtraces from Lisp
code called by redisplay, you need to use the facilities documented in
the node "Debugging Redisplay" in the ELisp Reference manual.
1. Thinking about it, I can see why redisplay can't be allowed to enter
the debugger. Infinite regress...

2. I don't know if that subprocess is called from the modeline
code. Probably, but I'd have to dig into vc.el to check. I won't have
time for that for a few days yet.

3. Assuming that it is called from the modeline code, the question
shifts from "Why did I have so much trouble generating a debug trace?"
to "How could I get one at all"?" There's some kind of timing issue,
I think.
If you eventually can get Emacs into producing a backtrace, the
facilities described in the node "Debugging Redisplay", mentioned
above, should allow you to have it saved in a special buffer that you
can then examine.

The main problem I have is how much time you have to invest until you get that 'eventual' backtrace. Say time and read expertise, etc. An 'average user', if such person exists, should be able to get the basic information for the development team to move forward and "kill the bug".

Having said that, I was using variable `vc-mode' in my mode-line. And when I resized emacs while editing any file (under VC or not) it would hang. Removing that and not experiencing further hangs have been one and the same thing.

Just my .02 cents,/PA