Re: Moving packages out of core to ELPA

From: JD Smith
Subject: Re: Moving packages out of core to ELPA
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 12:08:37 -0500

> On Feb 17, 2024, at 11:51 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: JD Smith <jdtsmith@gmail.com>
>>
>>> On Feb 17, 2024, at 10:51 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> We usually first retire such packages to lisp/obsolete/.  There, they
>>> are still available, but need to be loaded manually.  Moving something
>>> directly to ELPA might be too drastic, assuming someone somewhere
>>> still want to use it.
>>
>> Does that reduce the maintenance burden, for example because code in
>> lisp/obsolete does not receive updates to documentation, stylistic code
>> changes, etc.?  Do you typically also remove the associated entry in
>> auto-mode-alist when obsoleting in this fashion?
>
> Yes, I think so (on both counts).

OK, then I suppose staging in lisp/obsolete/ makes sense.  I do worry about the
connotations of obsolete meaning "stop using", "does not work at all" or "soon
to vanish".  In fact IDLWAVE does still work and is useful for a small set of
users, it just does more harm than good in core, IMO.

One idea would be to create another category for packages "on their way out" of
core.  I'm sure there's a better name, but lisp/noncore comes to mind.  The
intended difference being that obsolete packages will likely disappear entirely
from the project, whereas "noncore" packages will be migrated to ELPA, where
users can find them once they have left core for good.