emacs-orgmode

Re: [O] org-table-align function changed, where is the old behavior?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] org-table-align function changed, where is the old behavior?
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 17:34:32 +0100

Hello,

Craig Luthy <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't know what an ECM is. Need some clarification.

Complete minimal example, in French. It's in the FAQ.

> However, regarding the first issue of TAB and RETURN opening the table. I
> explained this wrong, and suspect the release was coded up as designed. No
> error messages were displayed. But, with further analysis, the expansion
> occurs in at least these scenarios:
>
>    - if you delete a row out of the table with 'kill-whole-line

That is to be expected.  Any change to a shrunk cell expands the whole
column.

>    - insert a row (org-shiftmetadown) then UNDO (undo)
>    - it seems that 'undo opens the table in many cases

Ditto. Whenever a change happens in a shrunk cell (or a shrunk part of
it), everything is displayed.

> The release note on these changes could use additional information. I was
> able to find this page (https://orgmode.org/Changes.html#orge5c3346) which
> helped me initially, but  `C-c C-c' on the STARTUP keyword and  `C-u C-c
> C-TAB' mappings you explained to me were missing.
>
>    - explain the new mapping of C-u C-c TAB which does the old format
>    behavior.

This is in the manual, at (info "(org) Column Width and Alignment")

>    - I would have never guessed to do C-c C-c on the STARTUP keyword to
>    format everything in the file. Perhaps a reference to that would be
>    helpful. To me it seems like an unusual thing to do, so I may have missed
>    documentation on this behavior that is found elsewhere.

This also is in the manual, at (info "(org) The Very Busy C-c C-c Key")

> According to general release note (https://orgmode.org/Changes.html) it
> says that editing a column (do you mean a cell?) opens it up and displays
> everything. This does not seem to be working for me.

It definitely does here. Would you have an ECM? ;)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou