emacs-orgmode

Re: [O] ob-clojure with tangling current broken

From: stardiviner
Subject: Re: [O] ob-clojure with tangling current broken
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 14:38:23 +0800

Frederick Giasson <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
>  That's why I added a patch recently. Now Nicolas already applied my
>  patch. You should already seen it now.
>
> Yeah I just received that email right after I sent mine. Didn't know it was
> in the pipeline, I just re-subscribed to the mailing list.
>
>  >
>  > It turns out that the culprit is the following line:
>  > https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/src/master/lisp/ob-clojure.el#L108
>  >
>  > I am wondering why is there such code injection in
>  > "org-babel-expand-body:clojure". It looks like to be related to the
> Clojure code
>  > block execution, but it also appears to be called from the tangling
> function.
>  > Clearly those two different use cases needs to be properly handled at the
> level
>  > of "ob-clojure.el"
>  >

>  Expanding clojure code is necessary to tangling, because when user have
>  noweb reference etc in source block, expanding here is necessary.
>
> Yes, that is right. What I was referring to I guess is to handle that case
> (tangling vs. code block execution within Emacs), which is what this patch is
> about,
> thanks!
>

>  > I didn't follow all the changes to the "ob-clojure" mode in the last year
> or so,
>  > so please pardon my ignorance if the module is taking a different
> direction than
>  > I am used to. Is there a rational behind this behaviour or is there a new
> feature
>  > that I am not aware of which properly handle those two use cases?
>  >

>  Which part you don't understand, I might can answer your question,
>  because I did most of those changes in last year.
>
> The only thing I meant here is that the last time I looked into this code, it
> was quite different, you guys appears to have worked a lot on it.
>
> Another thing I discovered is the =ob-clojure-literate=, but even after
> reading its [sparse] doc and its code, I am not sure what it concretely adds
> to =ob-clojure=
>
> Thanks for this work!

Well, about this, you can read related things, here is the original
repo: https://github.com/stardiviner/ob-clojure-literate. In the README,
I describe my motivation.

Before CIDER added "sesman" session manager, CIDER was not able to
manage sessions easily. But ob-clojure need a session. So I created it,
then I added some thing that I need for Clojure literate programming in
Org Mode.

About this extra library, here is what I think, keep it for a while,
until no one or very rare use it, I will remove it from Org Mode
contrib. Until now, no one except you asked me about what it is.

BTW, I migrated some features into core/ob-clojure.el already, like
session initialization. Specify session.

Here is the list I collate right now.

- [X] auto start REPL if necessary
  - [X] It's taken by CIDER sesman [Commit 2c5df17ed]
- [X] use default session
  - [X] It's taken by CIDER sesman, now can easily switch session.
- [ ] specify session in header argument :session, Org Babel has =[C-c C-v C-j]=
  by default.
  - [ ] provide interactive completion candidates of CIDER REPL connections
- [X] initiate session =[C-c C-v z]= [Commit 4456dc880]
  - [X] CIDER use sesman to manage REPL session now.
- [ ] support ob-core.el switch to corresponding session REPL buffer =[C-c C-v
z]=
- [X] dynamic clojure ns [Commit d7e12d1df]
  - [X] implemented with ~:ns~ header argument [Commit d7e12d1df]
- [X] generate plot image in specific directory
  - [X] pass dir as variable into Clojure code
- [X] org babel support graphics image file link as result [Commit b088389c6]
  - [X] I add this header argument value in commit already. [Commit 296b0de4e]

If you want to read ob-clojure-literate.el source code, I suggest you
read one commit by one. It will be much clear. You can search my name
"stardiviner" and filter commits with "ob-clojure,ob-clojure-literate"
in log.

> Take care,
>
> Fred

Hope this will help you, Regards.

--
[ stardiviner ]
       I try to make every word tell the meaning what I want to express.

       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
       IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
       GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3