emacs-orgmode

Re: [O] Making an agenda that includes scheduled-for-later tasks?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Making an agenda that includes scheduled-for-later tasks?
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 17:10:54 -0500

Leo Gaspard <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello all!
>
> Just trying to bump this question: How does one make an agenda view that
> includes tasks that are already scheduled for later?
>
> (more details in the quoted mail below)
>
> Cheers,
>   Leo
>
> Leo Gaspard <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello all!
>>
>> I am trying to make an agenda view of all tasks that don't have the
>> :Effort: property set, including tasks that are scheduled for later.
>>
>> My init.el files includes the following lines (of interest is the "E"
>> agenda):
>> ```
>> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>>       '(("U" "Unscheduled tasks"
>>       todo '("TODO" "WAITING")

[General disclaimer: I can never remember what goes where in
org-agenda-custom-commands, and it's
 all untested. Tread carefully.]

I don't think the "todo" type can do that. You might want to use the "tags"
type with a search
- see

        (info "(org) Matching tags and properties")

It should be something like

       tags "TODO=TODO|WAITING"

or maybe

       tags "TODO=\"TODO|WAITING\""

or maybe

       tags "TODO=\"TODO\"|TODO=\"WAITING\""

(or maybe something else :-) ).

>>       ((org-agenda-overriding-header "Unscheduled tasks")
>>        (org-agenda-skip-function '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'scheduled))))
>>      ("E" "Effortless tasks"
>>       todo '("TODO" "WAITING")
>>       ((org-agenda-overriding-header "Effortless tasks")
>>        (org-agenda-skip-function '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'regexp
>> ":Effort:" 'todo '("APPT")))))))
>> ```
>>
>> However, for some reason only tasks that are either not scheduled or
>> scheduled for some time in the past show up in this agenda. This makes
>> it useless, as the point is to remember to put in efforts for every
>> task *before* they are scheduled (and thus started)
>>
>> Do you have an idea what I could have missed?

Maybe (org-agenda-span 'month)?

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler