Re: [emms-help] Two new EMMS functions

From: Ian Dunn
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Two new EMMS functions
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 12:48:50 -0400

Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> writes:

> I like the idea behind `emms-select-playlist-track'. But I can see
> renaming it to something like `emms-play-playlist-track' because it
> actually plays the track.

    That makes sense.

> However, I would change it so it doesn't create yet another copy of the
> playlist as a hash-table which now needs to be kept synchronized. The
> playlist-mode buffer is already a data structure and it's unclear how
> long the playlist would need to be in this case in order to be slower
> than a hash-table.

    The purpose of the hash table in emms-select-playlist-track (or
emms-play-playlist-track, as it may be) is to present the user with an
understandable representation of each track.  I chose to use the description as
a key and the position as the value simply because that seemed easier at the
time.

  I realize that the tracks themselves are data structures, but I'm not sure
that's going to help this function.  I see emms-player-start, which takes a
track, but it looks like it doesn't select the track, rendering the mode-line
and playlist buffer both useless, as they will have the wrong track selected.
I am only just learning about emms-player-start and this problem.  Is there a
better way to do this in EMMS?

--
Ian Dunn