Re: [emms-help] Using EMMS as a Matroska Annotation Tool

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Using EMMS as a Matroska Annotation Tool
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 21:33:22 -0400

Dan LaManna <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I stumbled upon EMMS when looking for a tool that I could use to
> annotate media files (mkv files to be  specific). After glancing through
> it seems like EMMS is a great tool for playing media, and doing at least
> preliminary tagging (via emms-tag-editor-mode), however I noticed the
> set of tags it supports is rather limited compared to say,
> https://matroska.org/technical/specs/tagging/index.html#tags.
>
> Additionally it looks like there isn't a notion of "chapters" in EMMS,
> however this is something I would be interested in annotating as well.
> The ideal workflow here I think would be to use emacs to scan through
> videos marking points to add chapters to.
>
> Being unfamiliar with EMMS, does the list think the vague feature set
> I'm describing is within the scope of EMMS? If so I would be more than
> glad to take a stab at it (no guarantees). Any guidance would be
> appreciated.

It isn't something that Emms has at the moment, but sounds great. Emms
has some very basic bookmark functionality in lisp/emms-bookmarks.el.

If this is something you want to work on, please do. You can send in
patches or provide access to a branch we can all pull and play with.

We keep the Savannah git master stable and up-to-date, so that would be
the tree against which you would be working.