Re: [emms-help] Playback / cache issue with mpv backend

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Playback / cache issue with mpv backend
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 14:56:12 -0400

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I totally missed the email; thanks for pointing it out. Yes, Zhang's
>> emms-player-mpv probably won't be considered for inclusion. I think that
>> people's (like me) mpv versions will ultimately catch up so that
>> everyone has the unix-socket option.
>>
>> One of my other free software projects wrestles with different code
>> branches for different API versions... and it's something to definitelty
>> avoid.
>
> I agree but I haven't really looked into the differences between the two
> implementation.  What are the pros/cons of the Unix socket?  Other
> things to consider?

My understanding is that it is the way forward for the mpv project, so
we may as well do it that way if we are going to support mpv, and it's
bi-directional:

"""
--input-file=<filename>

    Read commands from the given file. Mostly useful with a FIFO. Since
    mpv 0.7.0 also understands JSON commands (see JSON IPC), but you
    can't get replies or events. Use --input-ipc-server for something
    bi-directional.
"""