Re: How to move point in emms playlist?

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: How to move point in emms playlist?
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:07:21 -0400

Tom via <emms-help@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am always a little irritated that the currently playing track is not
> at point (I'm using hl-line-mode), so there are 2 highlighted lines,
> point and current track. I wanted to fix that with:
>
>   (defun tvd-emms-follow-playing-song()
>     (interactive)
>     (save-restriction
>       (when emms-playlist-selected-marker
>         (goto-char emms-playlist-selected-marker))))
>
>   (add-hook 'emms-playlist-selection-changed-hook
> 'tvd-emms-follow-playing-song 1)
>
> However, this doesn't work, point is not moved when a new song starts to play.

Before we get to the function itself, I'm wondering about how you
imagine this would work in practice: If you have the point move on every
song change then that can really mess up your editing of the playlist
buffer. If you are doing stuff in the playlist buffer while the song
changes then your editing will be ruined as point will move to the
selected track.

If on the other hand you never edit the playlist buffer, why would you
care where the point is?