fhsst-authors

[Fhsst-authors] New Build System!

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: [Fhsst-authors] New Build System!
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 03:41:18 +0000

hi everyone,

well i don't know how it took me this long to get around to this, but we
now have a new cleaner build system which separates the 3 books. PLEASE run
`cvs update -dP` before you start anything today! i added some really
snazzy scripts too :-)

here are the main updates of my commits:

 - i removed all the PDF files as they do not share our license.
   mark... can you put the syllabus PDFs on the new webpage instead?
 - i removed the SETUP and LaTeX files as nobody ever reads them anyway.
   instead we can do all this by on-line documentation so we don't need
   to syncronise all the time. this is a big relief.
 - i removed the essay folder (as it is physics dependent)
 - each book now has its own defines.tex and main.tex
 - i added a script folder... more on this

i added 2 new scripts which are used by the Makefiles:

 fhsst-self-contained:
this is *really* handy for maintainers. you basically run this script on
your .tex files to generate self contained files which you can email to
people to work on... so they don't need to download the whole book's
source. i am working on making it smart so that it only includes the
packages which a file *needs*. i have only tested this in maths at the
moment, but i intend to update it for physics and chemistry use now. it
relies very heavily on the files following compliance with the template
file. to have a look at what it does, cd into the maths folder and type
   ../scripts/fhsst-self-contained hsalgebra.tex
and a hsalgebra-selfcontained.tex file will be created which can be
compiled on its own. mark... try this on your wexarchive.tex file ;-)

 latex-compile:
this script is a wrapper for the latex command. it will compile the file
the necessary amount of times to get references correct. and i integrated
it with the self-contained script :-) so, you can do stuff like this
   ../scripts/latex-compile patterns.tex
and gave it generate the dvi output for a self-contained version of
patterns.tex :-) it also generates much more readable warnings from the
compile... so you can clearly see where you have duffed a reference.

if you type `make` at the top level, a PDF file for each book will be
created. if you type `make` in any of the book folders, a main.dvi file
will be created. you can create a ps or pdf by typing `make ps` or `make
pdf`.

i hope nobody has any complaints about this new system! please respond ASAP
if you find any bugs!! i didn't set up the science folder to use this
system yet though.

cheers,
Sam
--