Re: [fluid-dev] Export midi problem

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Export midi problem
Date: 02 Jun 2003 12:53:48 -0700

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 05:08, Pascale Pilon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First, thanx to all the develloppers for Fluidsynth!
>
> I can't figure out why I can't export the soundfonts loaded with
> Fluidsynth into a midifile. I start Fluidsynth with :
>
> fluidsynth -m alsa_seq ./NaturallyDecayingB-Guitars.sf2
>
> and then select the synth thru my midi editor. I hear the right sound
> when I play dirrectly thru the synth. But when I export the file (with
> Rosegarden or Noteedit), I hear the GM midi bank in the exported file???
> Must be a simple setting, but I can't figure it out!
>
> Thanx for helping,
>
> Eric,

How are you playing back the exported MIDI file? Rosegarden and Noteedit
don't know anything about the details of the instruments you are
playing, those programs are just sending MIDI data to FluidSynth via the
ALSA sequencer. Unfortunately a plain MIDI file does not contain
instrument information. So when you playback the MIDI file at a later
time, you must make sure that you have the same SoundFont loaded in
FluidSynth, and that the MIDI player program is connected to it. I hope
in the future to see support for container formats that allow the
instrument sounds to be contained in a composition. Thats in the future
though. Cheers.
        Josh Green