Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth does not start

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth does not start
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:54:17 -0700

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 22:15, menteco wrote:
> I tried your advice but I got this:
> address@hidden:~$ fluidsynth -a oss -m alsa_seq
> cca_open_socket: error connecting to destination 'localhost:14541':
> Connection refused
> cca_comm_connect_to_server: could not create server connection
> cca_init: could not connect to server 'localhost:14541' - disabling ladcca
> fluidsynth: warning: Couldn't set high priority scheduling for the audio
> output
> ALSA lib seq_hw.c:446:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No
> such file or directory
> fluidsynth: error: Error opening ALSA sequencer
> Failed to create the MIDI thread; no MIDI input
> will be available. You can access the synthesizer
> through the console.
> fluidsynth version 1.0.3
> Copyright (C) 2000-2002 Peter Hanappe and others.
> FLUID Synth comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> under certain conditions; see the COPYING file for details.
> SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.
>
> Type 'help' to get information on the shell commands.
> -----------------------------------

At that point FluidSynth is most likely working. Its complaining because
you don't have ALSA setup and you requested the ALSA sequencer driver.
The ALSA sequencer is useful if you want to sequence FluidSynth from
another program that also supports this feature (MusE, Rosegarden I
believe, etc). I think the OSS MIDI driver (-m oss) will allow you to
connect an external MIDI keyboard but thats about it, the alsa_seq
driver is much more flexible.

If you just want to run Swami, it should work fine as you have things
now. It loads FluidSynth as a plugin, so you don't really even need MIDI
connectivity if you just want to play some notes on the virtual keyboard
and edit SoundFont files.
In the long term you might want to look into setting up ALSA, since its
really nice (especially its sequencer system). Cheers.
        Josh